Lake Alfred Town Hall Meeting
November 06, 2012; 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
at the Lake Alfred Citrus Research and Education Center
Florida Organic Growers (FOG) and the Organic Trade Association (OTA) cordially invite you to a Producer Town Hall Meeting to take place on November 06, 2012 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm at the University of Florida’s Lake Alfred Citrus Research and Education Center. FOG is looking for farmer input regarding a number of critical issues that can affect or benefit sustainable and organic agriculture in Florida. FOG’s Executive Director Marty Mesh and OTA’s Board of Director President Matt McLean will be coordinating this meeting.
Topics to be discussed:
1. Organic Research and Promotion Program. Marty and Matt will introduce to you a promising initiative for the organic sector, the Organic Research and Promotion Order. This initiative has the potential to provide support for organic research and marketing in the long term. After the presentation of the program, Marty and Matt will ask for your valuable input, so as to understand whether or not you are supportive of this initiative. As organic farmers and/or processors your input is crucial.
2. Marty Mesh will provide an update on the Farm Bill and the potential consequences for conservation and agriculture.
3. Marty Mesh will provide an update and lead discussion on Food Safety issues, including a new FOG project that will offer food safety certification cost-share for small farmers in Florida.
4. A listening session, where you will freely express your challenges and needs in terms of producing and marketing your crops and or products. This information will be critical so that FOG can prioritize and identify the projects that are most relevant and beneficial to you.
5. Other announcements and information, including how to use Natural Resources Conservation Services (NRCS) programs to help your farm, and a new FOG’s farmer’s market initiative that will equip about 20 markets across Florida with EBT Technology and incentives for specialty
Your input is key to the success of this event, come ready to talk and share!
Refreshments will be provided.
Address: 700 Experiment Station Rd. Lake Alfred, FL 33850. Telephone (863) 956-1151
RSVP REQUESTED. For more information or to RSVP, please call 352.377.6355 or e-mail email@example.com.