~Invest in a healthy and sustainable future for Florida~
As 2013 winds down, we want to reflect on what we accomplished this past year thanks to the support of our members.
- Our GIFT Gardens program has built raised bed vegetable gardens at 21 sites for low-income families and the institutions that support them in the last six months.
- Since January, Porters Community Farm in Gainesville has donated more than 700 pounds of fresh produce to the local homeless shelter and various soup kitchens for those in need.
- Our EBT Program continues to increase access by accepting food stamps for healthy options at two local farmers markets in Alachua County.
- Our Fresh Access Bucks program is currently active at over eight farmers markets throughout Florida and will be expanding to at least 14 by the end of the year, allowing SNAP users across the state to double their food dollars for Florida grown fruits and vegetables.
A few exciting plans for 2014:
- We will be hosting four four on-farm educational workshops throughout the state that will cover topics such as soil fertility, crop production and management, sustainable food systems, transitioning from conventional to organic practices, marketing, agricultural policy issues, and organic certification. We are working on details for these workshops, so stay tuned!
- Expanding and developing our website, including an expanded and interactive map, Florida FarmFinder and many other resources.
- Our Fresh Access Bucks program will be expanding to at least 20 farmers markets by the end of 2014, allowing SNAP users across the state to double their food dollars for Florida grown fruits and vegetables.
- FOG will be participating in educational and outreach events throughout the state and region, including partnering with Georgia Organics on their annual conference and GrowFest! in Miami-Dade. FOG will also partner with East End Market to host the Florida Local Food Summit.
- We will be working to encourage the passage of a Farm Bill and one that promotes our values of a sustainable, just and local farm and food system.
Our members are our lifeblood—without them, we wouldn’t be able to achieve all that we have.
Join FOG today and be part of the good food movement for a healthier and more sustainable future!
You can choose your own level of giving—one that reflects how much you value and have the ability to support the mission and work of FOG.
To join today, learn more or to give a gift membership, CLICK HERE.
Together we can create a sustainable, local, just, organic food and farm system that’s good for people and the planet.